Saturday 7 February 2009

Potting Shed Productions

Welcome to tonight's performance of the Objet D'art Challenge. Thank you to all of you who joined in the altered book. There were some lovely creations.
Tonight we have another guest designer! Yah! Welcome Hels to the theatre.
Please pull up a seat and may I present to you the
 FLOWER POT!
Here is Hels creation:
and here is how she made it:

The pot I used has been lurking in the back of the shed for years and once I dusted it down, I primed it with two coats of Gesso. Once the Gesso was dry, I applied a thick coat of acrylic paint, using a mixture of Ranger Adirondack Willow and Lettuce paints to get the right colour I wanted.
I let this dry completely and then I painted over a thick coat of PVA glue, immediately covering the wet PVA with Ranger Adirondack Gold acrylic paint. As the PVA and the paint dry, they separate and leave a scratchy crackled effect. However, my craft room is really cold so this didn't take as it usually does, so the crackles are not as defined as I would have liked.
For the centre panel on the "front" of the pot, I took a piece of Appletini TSS Metal and using a couple of different texture moulds, I made the flower pattern and the scroll pattern on the metal. Inbetween the patterns, I used a refining tool and hand doodled some squigles which added some depth to the metal. I used a sanding block and removed the raised areas of colour and then distressed the metal with gold acrylic paint, buffing to a shiney finish once this had dried.
The reverse panel has three stamped flower heads also onto the Appletini, embossed in gold and mounted onto card for ease of attaching to the pot.
The stamping around the top and bottom of the pot was achieved by using Ranger Archival ink and embossing to seal the image and the stamp I used was a scroll design from The Artistic Stamper.
Finally, I used my Melt Pot and a couple of silicone moulds I had made, one of a leaf and one of a fancy button, and using gold UTEE, I made several of these little embellies, attaching them to the pot using silicone glue.
Hels, thank you for being guest designer this week, and I am off to find a pot lurking in the garden!
You can do whatever you like with the pot, be it plastic, china, glass, terracotta, a broken one or a full one. Just fill it full of fun and flowers , of course!
Happy Creating
Jennie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fab Hels! Love the metal work! Off to find a flowerpot! x

Ellen said...

beautiful and that metal centrepiece is gorgeous

Ann said...

Fabulous pot Hels - the metal in the centre is stunning! What a wonderful idea!!

Anonymous said...

I still want to try this, once it warms up here. It's a great theme, but better for warmer weather, I think.